The main reason why house flies are considered pests is because they carry diseases caused by viruses, bacteria, protozoa, and nematodes. For those who do not know, nematodes are worms like roundworms/threadworms. Studies show that there are 100+ pathogens (disease-carrying organisms) linked to house flies. So, be extra cautious next time you encounter them.
Unlike mosquitoes and ticks, the pathogens associated with house flies are not requiring insect vectors and house flies are playing no specific role/s in these pathogens’ life cycle. They are just carrying pathogens with them.
One of the most common illnesses house flies spread is diarrhea, which may be caused by bacteria including E.coli, Shigella, Enterococcus, Campylobacter, and others. These types of bacteria are usually found in the stool of people with diarrheal illnesses. Other diseases carried by house flies are the following:
- Anthrax – an infection causing serious skin, lung, and bowel diseases. In severe cases, Anthrax can be fatal.
- Cholera – an acute diarrheal disease that can be treated with oral rehydration solutions. But if not given medical attention, this disease can kill the patient in less than a day. To avoid cholera, make sure that the water you are drinking is safe for consumption.
- Conjunctivitis –k.a. pinkeye, conjunctivitis is an inflammation of the conjunctiva. Pinkeye is contagious; it can spread easily from one person to another. But if diagnosed promptly, pinkeye can easily be treated. If you have someone with pinkeye inside your home, make sure that he/she will not go near to new-born babies as it could be a vision-threatening infection for them.
- Diphtheria – just like the pinkeye, diphtheria is a bacterial infection that is contagious. This disease is affecting the mucous membranes of the patient’s nose and throat. The good news is that there are already vaccines for diphtheria.
- Dysentery – an inflammation of the intestine—the colon in most cases. The person suffering from dysentery may experience severe diarrhea. He/she may found mucus or blood in his/her feces.
Aside from the above mentioned diseases, other diseases carried by house flies are Gastroenteritis, Leprosy, Poliomyelitis, Trachoma, Tuberculosis, and Typhoid Fever.
No one wants to be surrounded with flies and suffer from the diseases they carry. If your home is infested with these pests and you are searching for a company specializing in flies control in Abu Dhabi, you are in luck. We, the most trusted pest control company in Abu Dhabi, are more than willing to help you with all your pest control needs. Let us help you make your home free from pests and the diseases they carry.